Thou Winter Wind

It’s natural to resist the cold. Cold can damage our bodies with frostbite and hypothermia, and we are conscious of the cold in ways unlike most other animals, using our minds to assign cruelty to winter and victimhood to ourselves, or reflecting imaginatively on potential dangers. Despite our cars, houses, and warm clothes, we often suffer more than those simpler animals who live closer to death by cold, because of the fearful or resentful projections of our thinking minds.

Last week I walked quickly through snowdrifts, wrapped in layers but still tense against the cold, with gritted teeth and hunched shoulders. A sparrow caught my eye and I took a deep breath and felt my heart open to the little puffed-out bird. As I did, I became more aware of the snow piled on the curb, balanced on the hedges and railings, and lining the branches on the trees. I could feel the hot breath of the sun on me. Even the bitter wind seemed to have a personality and a voice.

Above: Snow on iron railing

I continued to breathe into my heart, walking more slowly, and appreciating this beautiful face of nature. Within a block I was cheerfully taking pictures of mounded snow against the buildings, not caring that I had to remove my gloves to work the camera. No longer fighting the temperature in the isolation of my mind, I actually noticed the winter world and the cold ceased to distress me.

Above: Snowdrift

I don’t always find this level of relaxation easy when it’s cold. I still find myself hurrying, fighting against the chill. But I do take a deep breath and allow myself to feel, when I do remember, and the same transformation of suffering into acceptance and even joy is always available.


I pass this little moment on in hope that we can all continue to grow and bloom as lovers of nature and of life – even in winter.

Comments

Popular Posts